Monday, July 30, 2012

Strike THAT off the list!


I don’t believe in the power of hoping.  I believe in the power of doing.  Don’t get me wrong I believe in hope.  However I believe in hope as an inspiration (I have hope for...) rather than a wish (let’s hope this happens).  What I do believe in is the power of goal setting and the focus setting goals embeds in our subconscious.
Every morning I write down my goals.  The key word is write.  I write them down.  There is a power which comes from the commitment of writing something down.  It is a marker.  It becomes furnished proof of where you were, where you are going, and how far you have come.  There are also 3 very specific ways I write my goals.
  1. Present tense as though the goal has already been accomplished. Example: “I am in the best physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual heath I have ever been in.”  The reality is this goal of mine is yet to be accomplished however I write it as though I have already accomplished it and embed the goal in my mind in a way my conscious brain will not allow me to fail.
  2. When I set my goals, I set them just outside of what conventional wisdom would deem possible in order for the goal or target to receive my full commitment and dedication.  What good is a wimpy little baby goal or a goal for which no effort is required?  In order for me to be in the best condition holistically in my life it will take more than my garden variety “eating well” to accomplish the target.  It will take a full on lifestyle change to accomplish this goal.  I can get behind something THAT big.
  3. Align all massive, out of reach goals to the higher purposes of your life.  There will always be self serving reasons to make millions or have massive success.  The power of strong goal setting is in the good which can be done for others and for society as a whole when we achieve our massive dreams.  Make it just about you and  it becomes more difficult to achieve.  Make it about the benefit of others and you will see a supercharged goal achievement pace.
An amazing thing happens when we commit to writing down our goals daily and when write them down in a present tense accomplished fashion - they become reality.  Often we get so internally and subconsciously committed to the accomplishment of our goals (our brains will not allow us to fail at something we have already accomplished) we don’t even realize we have already accomplished what we have set out to do.  There have been 3 times in the past 3 months this phenomena has occurred in my life.  It wasn’t until  I reviewed my goals I realized I had already accomplished 3 items on my daily goal log.  The complete joy of crossing them off and adding bigger goals had the power of gasoline on a fire.  Amazing the power achievement has.
When I desire something in my life I write it down and keep at it until I achieve my goal.  The power of goal setting is real and clear to me and there is nothing I cannot accomplish.  I get to strike that of my list too.  Learning how to accomplish goals was once a goal of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment